- Products / Shop online
- Aquascape Journals
- Tips & Techniques
- About us
- Contact us
TGM Aquascape by Andrew Mack
Oct 01 2009
From time to time one of the large acrylic display tanks in the Green Machine's store is re-scaped. On this occasion the job was given to Andrew Mack.
The above image shows the finished aquascape shortly after the livestock were added. (photo by Stu Worrall)
"It is 3 weeks since Mark first said ‘how do you fancy doing one of the big tanks?’ It turned out to be my favourite of the three – ‘wide screen’ and 3D format!
A big thanks to Jim and Mark for giving me the rare opportunity to design and build an aquarium of this size.
Thanks to the boys for all the technical help on planting.
For the hardscaping skips have been raided, rockeries re-cycled and the large piece of slate I acquired from a Welsh farmer 25 years ago has finally found a ‘stage’ big enough to do it justice. It had been rotting in my back garden (frost acts quickly on slate) and I am delighted it has finally found a good home.
Sincere thanks also to George Farmer for the ‘jewel in the crown’ piece of wood which graces the upper part of the composition. That was a sublime piece of opportunism after my own heart. At risk of drowning George bravely threw himself into a lake to retrieve this beautiful piece of wood! I’ve seen the video of the wood emerging excalibur like from the lake but with a frogman on the end of it! It’s cleaned up nicely (stainless wire pan scrubbers are brill for this) and we hope it will sink any week soon! then we can position it properly. Well done George.
TGM asked us to keep a picture diary of progress (and set-backs) and what follows is almost a blow-by-blow account as events unfolded.
We have done all we can and now it’s up to nature. We’ll keep you posted, or why not drop in to TGM and see for yourselves."
Photographs by Elain Mack.
- Aquarium - 228.6cm x 91.44cm x 76.2cm high (approximateley) TGM all acrylic aquarium
- Stand - TGM marble tiled custom build
- Filtration & Heating - Eheim Thermo 2180 filter (with built in heater) with filter wool and 9 litres of Sera Siporax
- CO2 - TGM Custom Kit; 3KG bottle, Aqua Medic 1000 inline CO2 diffuser
- Lighting - Arcadia Series 4 triple 150W metal halide with twin 54W T5
- Substrate -ADA Aqua Soil Malaya, Tropica Plant Substrate, Unipac Zambezi Sand
- Decor / hardscape - Stone, slate, drift wood
- Plants -
Step by Step
5 x 5ltr bags of Tropica Plant Substrate
7 bags of Unipac Zambezi Sand
Deep Pockets of ADA Aqua Soil Malaya